7.18.2013

Things I Would Tell My College Self

They say college is the best four years of your life. I can't say whether I can agree or not just yet, I'm sure I have many more great life experiences to come. But my college years were definitely some of the most important in my life. I grew up, met amazing people, and started figuring out what I wanted to do with my life. But at the same time, if I had to do it all over again, I would do some things differently. I'm not one to regret but there are definitely things I wish I knew during my college years to help me make better decisions. Here are a few:


  1.  Take classes that have nothing to do with what you intend to major in or what your interests are- I was very generic with the classes I choose to take to fulfill my basic requirements...english literature, statistics, intro to chemistry, etc. Pick things you normally wouldn't. It's one of your only chances to explore.Who knows, you might just find a new interest or even your career path.
  2. Study Abroad - I had considered going aboard for a semester but in the end, I didn't because I was too scared to be so far away from home. But I should have. When you're in the so-called 'real world', it's hard to take months off just to travel and explore.
  3. Roommate with a stranger - For the two years that I lived on campus, my roommate was someone that I knew from high school. We had known each other for years so we didn't have any awkward new roommate phase to go through... we were already comfortable. But it was a missed opportunity for me to meet someone new, someone with a completely different story than myself. Roommate with someone you don't know if you have the opportunity to.Yes, it might not turn out to be the perfect situation but on the other hand, you could meet someone really awesome.
  4. Figure out what you enjoy and then figure out how you can make a career out of it - I always followed the path that I thought I should follow - major in something I can make money in. I ended up with a business degree. I don't regret it but do I think it's what I want to spend the rest of my life doing? No. Figure out what you really enjoy doing and then figure out how you can make a career out of it. Money isn't everything. Do what you love and you'll love what you do.
  5. Have fun - Some people wish that they took college more seriously. I'm the opposite. I was a little too serious and spent too many long nights in the library. It was worth it but I could've spent a little more time living a little. Go out, party, have fun (responsibly of course). You'll have the rest of your life to work. 
These are things I wish I did or knew. So if you're heading to college this fall, take some time to think about what you want out of the next four years. Work hard at it but don't forgot to take some time to have fun along the way. Four years go by faster than you might think.

4 comments:

  1. I definitely wish that I would have studied abroad! Great list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yes, looking back,I would've loved to study in France or Italy.

      Delete
  2. I think every single thing on your list is a fantastic idea. Taking courses you normally wouldn't is a particularly great one. I have changed my mind a few as to what I want to do with my life so exposure to other subjects would be great. I am trying to make a career out of what I enjoy. It will take some time but I think I can eventually get there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I've been constantly thinking about changing career paths and I think being exposed to more in college would've helped me tremendously.

      Delete